Monday, April 6, 2009

Arena Work

FINALLY! Had the chance to ride Dakota in some decent footing. Hauled to Sara's house on sunday, and it was absolutely beautiful out and Dakota was fabulous. I thought she may be a little jumpy, but she was calm as could be. Tacked up great, stood at the trailer awesome. I first started out riding in the o-ring, not knowing if she would respect it or not at a new place (out of her comfort zone), but she was an angel. She responded to the lightest touch, stopped on a dime, etc. I trotted and loped circles in the o-ring, and trotted the barrel pattern once or twice in it, then I switched to the Hackamore because she seems to be more responsive in it.

So, I worked her in the hackamore at a walk trot lope, then trotted the pattern a couple more times. She felt great. She was stopping on her hind end, and felt like she was collecting herself for the most part. I worked her more than she is used to, so I think she may have felt a little sore towards the end of our ride, but overall she felt and did great. Towards the end of our ride I put Sara's new triple creek on her to see how it rode, and man was it NICE and fit Dakota like a glove.. I wanted to steal it. My next saddle will be a triple creek for sure!

I think the one thing that needs work is her ability to work the barrels. She seems as though she gets caught up around them, I think that may have been due to the fact she was not used to working in actual footing.. So she was getting a little caught up in it. But for her first time seeing the pattern in months I think she did great.

Videos and pictures:

This first video is from towards the end of our ride, I wanted to get one of her just loping. This is where I think she may look a little sore going to the right, I am not positive though. But she felt great, and I think looks great also.


Trotting in Sara's new Triple Creek (hence no stirrups)


Trotting the Barrel Pattern: As you can see, she needs some work on working those barrels and not getting caught up


Just some pics:

No comments:

Post a Comment