Monday, April 20, 2009

Chip Wallis Clinic

Dakota's very first barrel clinic went fabulous! I was a little bit nervous beforehand as I wasn't sure if she was sore at all (didnt seem to me, but you never know).. The day was great! She trailered like a pro. Once we got there, she took everything in and was not once spooky or unsure. I took my time tacking her up, rode her around the place..watched Chip work with a younger girl..and then finally had time to work her in the arena, then it was our turn with Chip.

He was great about one on one time, and was very understanding after I told him about her injury. He watched her move first, and the way I sat her. Told me she looked great, which really eased my mind...he said she looked like she was moving even and striding up perfectly...which was awesome to hear someone else say that.

We worked the pattern for a bit, and he showed me some things to get more control over her shoulders.. Overall he said she was working a great pattern and had a really nice start on her, which made me so proud. I knew all along I shouldnt keep my hands so high when asking her to bring her shoulders up, but didnt know how to fix it. He showed me a way to keep my hands centered and over her withers that would let me have complete control over her shoulders. She really felt great underneath me, and was being a very good girl.

I had such a good time, I am so glad that I went instead of going to the NBHA. Just wish I could have gotten a video or pictures...but I was too shy to ask anyone to take any. But the plus side is that I got Chip's number and once I am out in Oklahoma, he said he would love to work with me and Kota, to give him a call if I ever need help. At the very end, he made a comment about Kota that really made my day. He was saying how he thinks she's a really nice mare, and the final thing that about brought tears to my eyes was that he said "in one year, you'll be winning on this mare"..I about broke down right then and there, to hear someone who knows what they are doing tell me that my horse just may make a barrel horse after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment