Friday, January 16, 2009

Dakota's Debut on Blogspot

I always start a blog about Dakota's training progress, get excited about it, and then somehow end up writing two blog entries, and stop. It's a new start to her training, so therefore, I figure we need a new blog to celebrate. This one will last.

Dakota, aka "TT Kitabars Kitten" is my 4 (coming 5) year old mare. I got her as a 2 year old in June of 06', and have had her ever since. She has a rather calm temperament, but can have her mare moments. I think I like that fire about her, sometimes.

Dakota will soon be coming off her long winter rest, hopefully completely recuperated from her stifle injury she was diagnosed with back in september-ish? Dr. Riddle in Port Deposit, MD who was recommended to me as "the leg guy" to go to, diagnosed her with a "compressed medial meniscus"...in english, a torn ligament in her stifle. He gave me a 50/50 chance that she will ever be able to run barrels, which after losing my barrel horse the year previous, absolutely crushed me. I followed his treatment plan to a T, other than his recommendations to ride her. I decided to give her a good period of time off, with hopes she would heal. After xrays and ultrasound, her stifle was injected once, and she was put on a treatment does of Adequan. The following checkup appointment, the Dr. was suprised at her progress and did not want to inject her again. Instead, she got a legend shot. Now she is on monthly Adequan, and I am hoping to start legging her back up soon.

This blog will track her progress from bringing her back, to hopefully running barrels!

No comments:

Post a Comment