Sunday, January 18, 2009

Zap goes the fence

So we finally decided to put up an electric fence along the paddock, to keep our escape artists from getting out time after time. We left the rest of the fence in the pasture un-wired, so the only fence that's hot is the paddock around the barn. When they're out on pasture they usually stay pretty busy with the grass and dont bother trying to get out. I don't believe Dakota has ever had an experience with an electric fence...let me tell you she was very upset with me.

She was the first to test it out. Walked right up to this "new yellow stuff" along the top of the regular wooden fence.. .ZAP! I sorta felt bad for her--she isnt even the reason we need the darn electric fence! After a few laps around the paddock to shake off that zap, she stood in the center looking at me like "Why'd you do that to me???" I tried walking up to her to pet her and let her know its alright, darn horse didnt want me near her! Mind you this horse is usually friendly as can be, never have I seen her run from someone.

So I just gave her a few treats and figured I'd let her be and let her settle down and figure out what this new electric fence business is all about. Went back out to feed later and she was her normal self--guess she finally realized it wasnt me zapping her.

I was too chicken to test it out on myself--I'm wondering how much shock it actually gives off. I think its enough to keep them from chewing on/removing fence posts from now on. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment