Sunday, March 8, 2009

Is spring here?

It's been in the 60's-70's these past few days!! I got to ride both yesterday and today...after Kota got the week off due to inclement weather.

Yesterday we rode with Amanda and Eggo, Kota hasnt had anybody ride with us in ages! I think that got her a little confused, and she wasn't as focused as she normally is when she is alone. And boy has she been spooky. Amanda had set up new jumps in the woods, out of tires and christmas trees and such and Dakota thought they were going to eat her!! My little mare has never been spooky before, and all of the sudden its like everything is out to get her.

Even today, I went out alone, and took her over to the soccer fields by the fire house to work a little bit... She heard a dog barking and just about took off (something she has never tried before)....and then some brilliant genious of a man decides to come out and hit baseballs in the field, of course towards the general vicinity of where I am riding. I about told him to go find his own field, but realized that I should share. So I made her walk a circle, then took her out back towards the big fire house field and walked out there until baseball man was gone and then we went back to work. She still seemed like she was on the defense, but definitely much more focused and she work pretty good.

I need to start making her work a little harder. I've been just taking it easy with her, just simple trotting circles for a couple minutes each way, bending and flexing.. I think I can step it up now and start asking a little more of her and really get her into shape.. Blacksmith comes tomorrow, so hopefully I can hop on after school before he gets there and get a ride in.

No comments:

Post a Comment