Thursday, February 12, 2009

Getting Back in the Swing

I actually got to ride both today AND yesterday.. The weather has been exceptional. That's 3 days in a row!

Tuesday I got a real ride in... A nice long trail ride again, worked on some straight line/bending stuff at the soccer fields as it wasnt too muddy.. All at a walk still. Kota was a good girl. We ventured all through the woods, then all through the neighborhood on the blacktop. I am just trying to get her back into the swing of things easily. It amazes me at how sensitive she is to leg pressure after all of this time off...she really is paying attention to that. Had the o-ring on her today, and I really think she likes that bit better than the D-ring.

Today(wednesday) I never thought I'd be able to get home in time to get on her, and it killed me because it was a beautiful 60 degrees out today. But alas, my lab got done way early (4 PM), so I booked home in time to grab my bridle and hop on bareback for the remainder of daylight we had. As I was leisurely walking down the path, bareback on my 4 year old mare I realized what a good girl she actually is, and that I should never take that for granted. She has been sitting for the past 4 months atleast, and a ride here and there before that...and I completely trust her to just jump on her bareback after that much time off. Of course she was true to herself, did not bat an eye. Those kind of moments you just feel good on your horse. It's like you have an understanding that no one else can break. We only had time to walk around the neighborhood a bit...but nonetheless I got to get on my horse today. Boy does it feel good!

I'm hoping to make it 4 days in a row tomorrow...maybe add some trotting into the mix?? Although they may be calling for rain.. I hope this weather holds up, atleast until I have to go into work.

No comments:

Post a Comment