Thursday, February 26, 2009

Mare Day

We had a nice mare day today. Dakota was being a doll while being saddled up, everything normal... Then I take her out of the pasture, hop on her, and while I am fixing my stirrups she dives for the grass (which she KNOWS is a big no no when we are about to ride)... So, I popped her enough to let her know, and I think that rubbed her the wrong way. For the rest of the ride she was Ms. Spooky, walking with her head a mile high, needing to look at everything. So needless to say she wasn't exactly focused. That in turn gave her a little attitude problem also I think.

Get her to the field by the fire house where I work her occasionally, put her to work a little.. Normally she has a very low headset, but today it was like she was on the defense, keeping her eyes wide open for something to jump out at her (and she is normally not spooky at all).. So we did nice big circles, just trotting. She threw in the occasional drift back towards the woods (the way home), overall just not paying attention. She can and knows how to stop on a dime, but it was like she was blowing me off a little today. She would stop, just not on a dime, it would take her a few steps.

So I decided it was OK to let her have a mare day, I made her work a little longer got her trotting semi-collected circles and called it quits, trail rode home a different way through the neighborhood.

I think I may have hurt her feelings when I got on her about the grass... Oh mares.

No comments:

Post a Comment